Sunday, August 23, 2009

Supporting friends and colleagues during Ramadan


When I was in charge of diversity training for an organization with a sizable Muslim population, I always received calls regarding how to deal with co-workers who were fasting during Ramadan. They wanted to know whether they should invite them to functions or what should they serve during functions. I always start the conversation with, for this year I suggest...However, I really think that organizations with religious and ethnic diversity, should sit down annually and develop a calendar that includes the major observances of staff and constituents. However, most questions require a quick fix and immediate answers.

A few suggestions come to mind.

1) Plan ahead. Include a survey of ethnic and religious diversity that solicits suggestions from all of your constituents on how you can be supportive.
2) If you want Muslim co-workers to attend events, don't plan a lunch or a dinner prior to sundown. However, I have had colleagues who still showed up to lunches, but they just didn't eat.
3) If a co-worker who is observing Ramadan decides not to attend an event or meeting scheduled during this time, please be supportive.
4) Contact your local Mosque or Islamic Center for suggestions or to learn more about Ramadan. Our Birmingham society had an open house a few years ago. Many churches and community groups participated.

I have also asked people that I know who are Muslim to comment on this post and give their opinions.

3 comments:

  1. In addition to Bettina's wonderful advice,

    I would recommend knowing when exactly Ramadan starts. A lot of times people do not know that Muslims follow the lunar calendar, so it goes back 10 days every year. I've had a lot of administrators say to me Ramadan isn't until next month why are you fasting now?

    Also, knowing when the sun sets during that month would be helpful for the staff just in case they want to have a gathering. You can find sun setting calendars online for your particular city since it varies from place to place.

    It's also a custom or sunnah (a teaching of Muhammad peace be upon him) to break your fast right at sun down. So don't be insulted if your co-worker bolts to break their fasts and then goes to pray the sunset prayer. Which they have to pray on time. So allow them about 15-30 mins to break their fast and complete their prayer.

    It's also beneficial to know that some practicing or religious Muslims would prefer to have meetings or gatherings during the day, because a)during the night they want to spend worshiping Allah in congregational prayers at their mosques/masjids and b) it helps pass the time during the day.

    For the most part Muslims do not mind attending gatherings where food will be present, but it is always nice when the person holding the gathering offers to make a plate for you to take home for later.

    It's also, important to know that after Ramadan is our big religious holiday called Eid-Al-fitr and this lasts for three days after Ramadan.

    Most Non-Muslims colleagues put a lot of emphasis on the month but then forget that most Muslims really look forward and want time off right after it to celebrate.

    I hope this helps.

    Ranita Sharif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bettina and Ranita,

    As Salamu Alaykum. May Allah continue to bless you for this display of important information.

    Khalid Sulaiman
    aka Jon "Supreme" Malone

    ReplyDelete