While on her African tour, Secretary of State Hilliary Clinton was asked about her husband's opinion regarding matters of state--or so she thought. It ends up, the student was asking about President Obama's opinion not former President Clinton's. A translation blunder set off Sec. Clinton. I don't know the nature of the error. However, when considering using a third party in intercultural relations, the translator can make or break you.
When I provide cultural competence consulting to organizations, the issue of using a translator always comes up. Out of desperation, people often grab friends, people off of the street or even bi-lingual employees. I am not suggesting that you not hire bi-lingual employees. For certain issues, a basic common understanding of a language is fine. However, for official business, health or international issues it is really important to use certified translators. A certified translator possesses a number of competencies beyond speaking two or more languages.
See Lost in Translation: She, Not Bill, is the Secretary of State.
No comments:
Post a Comment