As much as I appreciate other music genres, I am still a fan of hip hop, particularly conscious hip hop. Few in Birmingham know that I was a percussionist in my high school band (Color Guard and Drum Major also). So naturally I'm into music that I can dance to, groove to or be moved by the messages of its lyrics.
Fortunately, I re-united with Patrick Johnson a.k.a S. Fly of Red Light District over a year and half ago. We were once employed by the same company. S. Fly is the first Birmingham hip hop artist that I was introduced to. Red Light District is an unforgettable group in my mind. I’ll always remember my favorite lines in one of their songs: “ I know a place where we can go, there’s nothin’ but love around, nothin’ but love around”. The track’s beat, the bass is so deep and melodic. It’s one of those songs that you just ride out to when you need to clear your head.
Since then, I’ve also met other Birmingham artists such as: Thed Weller, Byron the Aquarius, I.M.A.E, Poet John Paul, Shaheed, Supreme and Poet Shaun Judah. They performed at one of Birmingham’s most energizing and uplifting spoken word/live music events, The Latte Lounge: SpeakYoSoul Live! at Java and Jams coffee house . I saw Green Seed shut it down at the Bottletree a few years ago. I’m now a fan and really encourage each of these artists to continue to deliver the goods with sick beats and passionate messages about love, struggle, triumph, politics, friendships, foes and “things that make you go mmmhhh”.
Lastly, I think that Birmingham is filled with incredible talent. We can't forget about the ladies. The artists I’ve mentioned have all impressed me. Just as impressive is the female producer/singer/graphic artist Ms.BeatJunkie. She’s remixed tracks for artists abroad and here in the city. Her influences are cats like J.Dilla Flying Lotus, Pharcyde, Digable Planets and Sun Ra. You must experience her for yourself. She even freestyles and has a soulful, jazzy, “can sing just about anything” voice. She has her very own unique swag! You can listen to some of her beats at www.myspace.com/offbeatmusiq.
While you’re cruisin’ the web for hip hop, stop by djlovedeluxe.podomatic.com. This is my site. Yes, I’m making a really concerted effort to hone my dj skills. Stay tuned for the 69 Boyz/Flo Rida mashup. Not very conscious I know, but we all have our weaknesses! The SoulHeat mix on the site showcases some of my favorite conscious hip hop tracks and a remix by Birmingham's MsBeatJunkie. You know, it’s really cool to know personally some of the great hip hop artists and musicians in our city.
Thanks Bettina for the opportunity to share my thoughts on the Birmingham Hip Hop scene. I wish each of the artists mentioned much success in life and their careers.
Finally someone talked about women in the B'ham scene and poetry. I would love to hear more about the poetry scene.
ReplyDeleteBTW, hip me to this podomatic thing.
ReplyDeleteNow we could all go on for days about the poetry/spoken word scene, but I thought we were on hip hop :)
ReplyDeleteI will be the first to admit that we don't mention the females in hip hop enough - 7even, Nina Ross, Mizfit, Ms. Beat Junkie (La'Shon) are all examples of different styles and disciplines from females in Bham hip hop. I didn't even mention spoken word - I think each genre deserves it's own unique post so that we can see EXACTLY what is being offered here when we mention the "local" scene.
And yes, Catina and I go waaaay back! I wish I had the first post she put on our website back in 1998-99... I would read it several times a month because it was so inspirational. I was/am still excited that she has has offered tremendous contributions to the scene.
dope read, dope blog,
ReplyDeleteBlaq Angel...Mr. Johnson - I attempted to define hip hop in my original post as including rap, spoken word, dance, fashion and art...I wrote to artists, DJ's, rappers and poets.
ReplyDelete@Catina...didn't know you DJ'd...i'll be checking your site out;-)
ReplyDelete@Blaqangel... it's so hard to "define" what hip hop isn't...isn't it? it's influences (much like jazz) can be felt in many other genres of music and sometimes the line is blurred. but it's all the same...really. sort of like a map of the US, we're really on the same piece of dirt even though "they" tell us we live in different places.
@Blaqangel@ThedWeller
ReplyDeleteS. Fly I wish you had my post also about Red Light! I will be a fan forever. Thank you for the recognition and the introduction to other female hip hop artists/producers in Birmingham. Also, forgive me for failing to mention your solo debut “Where Did It Go Wrong”? The Birth of Blaq Angel. Lack of sleep when I posted the first blog began to impede my thought process LOL.
So, here it is: The album is a synergistic flow of bangin’ hip hop beats layered with jazzy and soulful sounds. The track “Rok Star” was on repeat and the album in my cd deck for weeks as was Thed Weller’s latest release “Better Than I Can Tell You”. Both albums are strategically crafted pieces of art that rivals many of the mainstream conscious hip hop artists that exist today. I know you guys remember my constant texts that expressed my delight at being refreshed!
@ThedWeller @Thed Weller.. In response to the blurring of lines with regards to both the art form of hip hop and spoken word… Birmingham’s poet John Paul as an example has performed on hip hop tracks. Does this make him a hip hop artist or poet? Some feel that the artistic views of hip hop and rap influence spoken word. Check out the Associated Content’s article on “The New Wave of Hip Hop”.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion if you spit hip hop lyrics acappella style and eliminate the music; the rhythm of the word play and spoken word become the focus and not the beat. However, spoken word artists are increasingly beginning to add various genres of music to their works which also include hip hop beats. Local poet Glenwood seems to characterize his art form as R&B and Rap. I’m listenin to “Shoot You There” on his myspace page. LOL. It's sounding like a hip hop/rap track reminiscent of the early 90's. I'm digging the beat.