I am frequently questioned about what to eat by people who have not had the occasion to try Indian or Thai food. My approach is to take the, "It tastes like chicken" approach of my mom by actually suggesting that they order chicken. It is my way of easing people into expanding their pallets.
For the not so experimental person, I take them to Surin for Thai as opposed to some of the other places in town. I recommend the BBQ chicken which includes fried rice. They may or may not try the coconut soup. If they make funny faces, I don't let them anywhere near my ginger soy scallops.
For Indian, I recommend Tandoori chicken which is available at most places I have been to. I also order bhindi masala which is sauteed okra with tomato, onion and spices. My southern friends are used to stewed okra which also includes tomatoes and onions. I actually brought bhinidi masala to a family dinner. Everyone loved it. I didn't mention it was Indian until dinner was over. They were pleasantly surprised.
All see, Soul Food in India, Japan...
How do you ease your friends into experimenting with different foods?
No comments:
Post a Comment