After the 2006 FIFA World Cup, I vowed to be competent in all things World Cup. My sister and her friends were throwing parties. I saw people stopping their entire lives to watch matches in the lounge outside of my office. Though I had been a host for Olympic soccer in Birmingham and had a brother who played high school soccer, I still can't hold a decent conversation about international football. I pledged not to let that happen in 2010. I have invited friends and family to give a clep course via this blog. Care to give your two cents?This post was inspired by the following headline, "Nigeria Suffers Tunisian Blow."
In case you didn't know, the World Cup is the world's largest sporting event. Yes, it's bigger than the Olympics. It's not only the final month-long tournament that's held in one (or 2) country(s). It's a 2 year process that includes a lot of qualifying games in the different regions (more later) of the world. The teams involved are each country's national team (NT). They are essentially all-star teams. They are chosen by each country's current NT coach (aka manager or trainer). Due to this method, in many languages the NT is called "the selection". Players play regularly for their club (=pro) teams and (usually) get leave from them to play NT games. Sometimes there are conflicts and clubs don't want to release players for qualifying games. (Club matches are suspended for the final tournament.) Many different players may be used in qualifying but coaches have to submit a final roster of 23-25? players just before the month-long bit. Players must be citizens of the country they play for (even if foreign born) but many play for clubs in other countries. It's considered a great honor to play for one's country and when you have done so you are said to have been "capped". If you have played for the NT 25 times, then you have 25 "caps". Years ago, real caps were given out each time.
ReplyDeleteThis is so interesting. Thanks for your comment. I look forward to future comments.
ReplyDelete