Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pho Que Huong Vietnamese Restaurant in Birmingham, AL

I had a great meal at Pho Que Huong today on Green Springs Highway. According to PhoQueHong.com, "PHO, a uniquely Vietnamese creation, dates back to the 10th century and means "Noodle Soup". QUE HUONG means 'Native Village'".

Pho is located in a section of Birmingham that has really changed over the years. Green Springs showed early signs of globalization. You can get Korean, Mexican, and Vietnamese food all within a few steps. Mediterranean, Italian, authentic Chinese and traditional southern food are within a few miles. There is even a Peruvian restaurant posing as a Mexican restaurant three traffic lights away.

My first visit to Pho several years ago was with someone who spoke Vietnamese. He selected my dishes. It isn't a prerequisite, though. Neither the waitress nor I could speak Vietnamese. Today I took the safe route and ordered a chicken dish with lemongrass and mushrooms. One of my friends ordered a noodle dish.

FYI: Pho is actually in the Homewood section of Greensprings. Homewood is a suburb of Birmingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment