Our family has been invited to the home of a Jewish friend for a Seder meal. Yes, even our two year old. Another friend asked, "What is a Seder meal?" Despite courses in religion including one at a temple in Birmingham, the only answer I could come up with was that the Seder meal is similar to what we refer to as the Last Supper. As an interculturalist, I thought my answer was kinda pitiful so I tried to elaborate, but ended up coming up with something just as ethnocentric. I described a Seder meal that I had attended at a Presbyterian church on Good Friday. I described the foods and decor as a representation of Biblical times.
Since interculturalists (I am a professional interculturalist for The Byrd's Nest, LLC) generally try to encourage people to avoid ethnocentric perspectives, I recommend contacting the Jewish Federation or one of the local Rabbis to find out this sort of information. Since I was communicating with a Christian, I thought I would research an interfaith cheat sheet as well:
Passover
Hebrew name means: Pesach means Passover. It refers to Exodus 12:23, when God passed over the Israelites.What's it about? Passover celebrates God liberating the Israelites from Egyptian bondage and is probably the single most theologically important holiday in the Jewish calendar. (No pressure.) The holiday lasts eight days, though liberal Jews may celebrate only a week. Pronounce it: If you can't say the guttural h sound represented by the ch in Pey-sach, say Passover.Time of year: Usually falls in April.Foods: Traditionally, Jews eat no bread or leavened food on Passover, and do eat matzah, an unleavened bread. There are many food traditions that spring from this, including all the many foods made of ground matzah (called "matzah meal"). These include things like matzah balls, gefilte fish and sponge cake. Cookies and cakes made out of nuts, like macaroons, are also big on Passover, as are candies that follow the special rules of keeping kosher for this holiday.Activities: Observant Jews don't eat bread or other leavened foods and have big holiday meal called a seder where they retell the story of the Exodus from Egypt. This is a major holiday, meaning that traditional Jews take days off of work at the beginning and end of the eight days of the holiday, but work in the middle.Symbols of Holiday: Matzah, lambs (because of the historical Passover sacrifice), eggs, horseradish root, salt water. Greeting? It's fine to say "Happy Pesach" or "Happy Passover." Some people say "Hag Sameah v' kasher"--have a happy and kosher holiday.Read more: Try our Passover and Easter Resource Page and our Guide to Passover for Interfaith Families (also available in Word format).
No comments:
Post a Comment