I just finished watching Condi Rice's speech. I think she secretly voted for Obama. Bush was the first president that I know of to put African Americans in primary positions of power on an international scale including Condi Rice and Colin Powell. Do you think their images and roles prepared the country, the world for a Barack Obama?
Short answer: YES! Although the politics of Ms. Rice is far removed from Mr. Obama's (and Mr. Powell's somewhat in the middle of the two) it seems obvious that their two high-ranking profiles (and I would add Clarence Thomas to the mix) prepared the American psyche to deal with African Americans in positions of great political power. An African American president was clearly the next step, and Obama's wide-spread acceptance built upon their (less-wide-spread) acceptance.
ReplyDeleteThanks G. The reason I didn't include Justice Thomas was because he was the second black to be appointed to the Supreme Court. He "replaced" Justice Marshal who some believe was a polar opposite.
ReplyDelete