
So one of my friends asked, where should we meet for lunch? Why Surin of course. When I used to say that, unless you lived in Atlanta, there was only one location-- Surin West on 11th Avenue South. I believe it was named Surin West since it is west of the location in the ATL. Then came Nirus, Surin Mountain Brook, Surin & Co. on 3rd Avenue North, Surin 280...Not familiar with Nirus? It was another Surin incarnation. It was Surin spelled backwards. It was located in the old Rube Burrows suite across from the old Texas Taco suite in the Pickwick Plaza. Yes, I am talkin' in 'Birminghampastspeak' again. I can't help it. I frequented both places back in the day.
Anyway, there was only one location. I discovered it when my colleague was the advertising director for the UAB student newspaper. I went with her to Surin to sell ad space and to try to develop a campaign to introduce the business. They wanted Surin to not just be a restaurant for people who liked Thai, but a restaurant and bar where anyone could meet and be comfortable. The 'buy one get one half off or get one free' coupon with your UAB ID was born. At the time, the catfish came whole. I miss those whiskers and little eyes looking at me as I tried to navigate the bones. Sushi was nowhere to be found. The berry crumble made me cry when I ate it.
I used to refer to Surin as the old Clyde Houstons and/or AJ's. When you are sitting in the window, to the left as you enter, you are sitting in the area that used to be a patio for previous establishments. Now, if the unspeakable happens and Surin were to move, I would refer to the space as the old Surin.
So what makes it so special? Since I am not there three times per week anymore, I don't see the owner and his family as much as I used to. However, the managers and the bartenders and some of the wait staff are familiar faces. I can still show up on certain days of the week and run into old friends. I can call in my order and most of the time, the person on the other line recognizes my number. I rarely have to identify myself when I pick up food.
Anyway, what makes Surin so special? Are you a Surin patron? Why do you like it? What is your favorite location.
In the next post, I will discuss Surin's South Asia connection.
I do so miss Surin. There's nothing like it here in Nashville. I want some crab angels...
ReplyDeleteI don't think I was ever introduced to Surin so we'll have to go when I get back to Birmingham and we can coordinate to be in the same spot...LOL!!! I have fallen in love with Thai here in Murfreesboro myself.
ReplyDelete@Tara I think it opened after you graduated.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE IT! SW offers a variety of good food, dinner size portions and is reasonably priced. Surin West is the restaurant of choice for UABers and Southside b/c it is close, quick, conveinent and friendly service!
ReplyDeleteMLCII
Bettina..You really put me on to this spot and now i have accompanied many many people there!!!thanks.
ReplyDeleteGreat food, great atmosphere, and a great location...and reasonably priced!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have other Surinites around.
ReplyDeleteI used to love Surin, but not after I found out that they pee'd in my food.
ReplyDelete