Friday, August 7, 2009

B'ham Hip Hop: Last Night A DJ Saved My Life


Homegrown and transplanted members of the Birmingham area responded to the post Birmingham's Hip Hop Scene. DJ 'Warm It Up' Chris Coleman shares his thoughts below.

Wow!! What defines the hip hop scene for Birmingham? Hmmm that's a good but complex question because the Hip Hop artists here in Birmingham have not defined themselves...Besides Patrick Johnson(S-Fly in Red Light District) NONE of the Hip Hop Artists stand out. They all sound like Atlanta to me, I am being truthful, I am not stepping on anyone toes and I'm not calling anyone out, but I am an OG in this game...one of the GODFATHERS of hip hop here in Birmingham so I can speak on it.

I don't think these artists know what the essence of Hip Hop is...now lets get one thing straight if you think that Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper alive..then you got to be 14 years old...Lil Wayne is not in the top 20 of the greatest rappers of Hip Hop. A lot of our Hip Hop artists gauge their careers off what's out today and what's out today is NOT a good look at all. One thing that made hip hop stand out is that every artist had their own sound and brand. You could tell the difference from Run-DMC and Whodini, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 to the Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow to LL Cool J...they all sound different but they stood out! Nowadays...EVERYBODY is T-Paining except Jay-Z(thank god for JIGGA!), and maybe Common, Talib Kwelie and Slum Village!

I had a conversation with some people in the industry and I told them that I don't think there is an artist out today that I'll be able to play 10 years from now and pack the dance floor..But If I play Peter Piper, Friends or 5 minutess of Funk at a party this weekend (oh by the way these are hip hop CLASSICS) I bet I'll pack the dance floor.

I bet there's not a Hip Hop artist in Birmingham that can tell me the MOST important element of Hip Hop...and I'll give you a hint...None of them HAVE ONE!

Now there are some artists here that have potential..like Modesty XO...that's my man...got a lot of heart and talent, just got to channel that energy in another direction. A lot of you guys might not know this but I am a core DJ..one of the originals...Tony Neal is my DAWG!! I had it fixed up where we were going to do a Birmingham night at his conference(where about 700 DJ's attend). The cost was 5g's, I contacted some of the well known artist here and all but about 3 of them backed out. I was like, maybe being heard by 700 of the top DJ's in the country wasn't appealing to them. If I would've gave Supreme, Red Light, ROA and PTG that deal 10-12 years ago it would've been on!!

Just getting your record on the radio in Birmingham is not the answer...Birmingham is ALWAYS late on everything, it's time to tell your story to several millions. Once you make it away from here...Birmingham will have your back...just ask Reuben! I might sound hard on our up and coming artists here in B'ham but y'all know that it's out of love and I love every last one of ya'll and you know it, keep in mind..we got a Soulja Boy, we got a Lil Wayne, we got a Lil Jon...Just be you and define yourself as an original...

Peace to Supreme, Red Light District, Dirty, ROA, PTG, Pop Boogaloo, The MC Crew and ALL the Pioneers who remained true to hip hop..it's essence and it's elements..so Bettina in a nutshell the Hip Hop culture in Birmingham will remain stagnant until one of our up and coming artists git up get out and get something!!

Last Night a DJ Saved My Life by Indeep.

Also this week: DJ Supreme, Thed Weller, S-Fly and more....

1 comment: