In a previous post, I wrote about attending a Japanese festival at Morgan Creek Winery in Harpersville. If you are a Birminghamian, you may have passed through Harpersville on the way to Rickwood Caverns, Still Waters Resort or to an Auburn game. I have been to a friend’s stable and to a wedding in Harpersville. I even saw a rainbow once.
So, is anyone still thinking to themselves, “A vineyard in Alabama? The Grapes of Wrath did not include Alabama to my knowledge. Nothing surprises me ever since I escaped from Buggy Top Cave in Tennessee and ended up in the only winery in Tennessee in the ‘90’s, but I digress. Perhaps I will share that story on another blog.
Anyway, what is southern about winemaking? I was accompanied by a friend from Minnesota by way of Chicago. As we were tasting wine, she asked, “What are muscadines?” Almost every wine was made from muscadines. I shared that they are grapes grown in the southeastern region of the country. The southern experience wasn’t soley based upon muscadine based wines or the use of familiar central Alabama images such as Vulcan and Red Mountain. The finale included a peach wine made from peaches harvested right here in Alabama.
No comments:
Post a Comment