Does anyone else consider food options when selecting domestic flights? Of course I would never fly out of my way to get to an airport based upon the food. However, if the layover is long and all other factors are equal, I like to go to a place that has the best food options. I think that the International concourse at the Detroit airport is my favorite. For some reason, Mediterranean food sticks in my mind. While I was in the Atlanta airport, I found a fusion dish at TGI Fridays that was pretty good. So, to avoid the long search that I had last night, I need suggestions for future travels.
On a side note, just to help you understand where I am coming from, my friends think that I am kinda weird. Why? When I travel to D.C., I like to eat on the bottom floor of Union Station for lunch at least once while in the City. I like to go to three or four different restaurants representing different regions of the world. It is like being at an international food festival!
Tell me where to eat Fly People.
These are some reflections on airports where I've spent some time or frequently visit. In writing this, I realize how much my behavior has changed over the past several years -- I tend to avoid eating airport food & bring my own because more often than not I get better food for far less than I am charged by an airline or restaurant in an airport. That said, there are some highlights!
ReplyDeletePDX - I like the Rose City Cafe -- good sushi & fish, can plug in my laptop & comfortably hang out. Pizza Schmizza is a local chain & should have decent pizza, though I haven't tasted the airport version.
JFK/LGA/EWR - I honestly can't recommend any of the food in NYC's airports. Get your food in the city (which has many wonderful options) & take it with you.
TPA/St. Pete - I don't have a specific food recommendation for the Tampa airport, but I recommend the art display on the concourse between the airport & hotel. Avoid St. Pete's airport -- there is no identifiable food. Also, it suffers from the "cheap flight, inadequate infrastructure" syndrome.
Cincinnati's pretty decent - I've enjoyed a Wolfgang Puck salad, but this seems to be increasingly mass produced. I avoid having to eat at Cleveland's airport.
MSP has some decent options, but you could spend an hour walking around the airport to find them (or your connecting flight). I was stuck there for several hours on my way back from London. Also, forget Gatwick for good food options. If forced to choose, go to one of the sit-down options & avoid McDonalds. Maybe Heathrow is better?
Yes, the International concourse at Detroit ... but I haven't had the chance to actually eat there! As is the case with several other airports ...
I'll be able to report on SLC after a 3+ hr. layover next month. I've been there many times, but never for long enough to explore food options.
Note that the easiest food options if you can gain access are the airline lounges for frequent fliers, particularly handy for long layovers.
Finally, as I was writing this & trying to remember different airports, I noticed that some have posted this info on their websites, another resource to investigate.
Thanks. This is quite helpful.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the Charlotte airport. Working in DC now, I can grab some good BBQ while connecting through there. Plus, they have great rocking chairs to relax in while you wait.
ReplyDelete-Adam
My friend, Jane, sent a message on FB suggesting Los Angeles International Wing
ReplyDeleteAnother FB response...I'm coming up with nothing. All I see when I run from gate to gate are barbecue places, fast-food joints with sharply abbreviated menus and sport bars.
ReplyDeleteWait, I just remembered.
DEMA Restaurant
Cuisine: Contemporary/Asian
hours: 6:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Atmosphere: Lobby
Phone: (734) 229-6872
Dema Bar
hours: 11:00 AM - 2:00 AM
Phone: (734) 229-6744
This is in the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport. You have to technically leave the airport, but it's just steps away from the gates. It's like an oasis. Koi pond. Food was a bit pricey, but a far cry from normal airport fare.
New submission for your "Best airport food quest"--CDG in Paris. Chad and I had great hummus, pita, feta salad and shared an Asahi beer while waiting for flight home!
ReplyDeleteJane