(Click here for Part 2) Brian returned to Birmingham on several occasions still longing for our childhood experience. In the late '90's, I took him on a shocking field trip. Our first stop was a late night visit to the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Lakeshore. At about 11:30 p.m. Wal-Mart became a mini United Nations. Families were speaking different languages and buying foods that we ate as children. Later that same year, I had to document evidence of globalization in Birmingham. Brian photographed all the places of our teenage years that were now occupied by Latino and Asian businesses.
He began with Green Springs Hwy and Valley Avenue. We reminisced about the old days heading to "soul night" at Holiday skating rink. After hours of skating and dancing, we would leave for a late night binge at Liberty Supermarket--close to where Sabor Latino sits. Latino nightclubs, Mediterranean grills, Asian grocery stores sit where we used to frequent places like Quincy's, the movie theater and the game room. Though I felt nostalgic, I was so amazed and excited. A friend who resides in Minneapolis commented that to sustain Las Americas, our Latino population must be really large.
The diverse community that I longed for was evolving right before my eyes. What used to be a bicultural community is growing into a global society. After a 20 year experience, I understand why Birmingham was coined, "The Magic City."
Yes, Birmingham is definitely becoming multi-cultural. But the affluency of the minority population, especially Latinos, is not like it is up north. Maybe higher levels of affluency in income and education will be obtained within several decades.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Corey. Your organization usually has a more complete picture of certain populations. I didn't really go into why communities become diverse. I will try to find a presentation that I give sometimes regarding waves of immigration. Birmingham is an example of people moving here to provide labor for a booming steel industry. Demographic shifts often take place as a result of major societal events.
ReplyDeleteThank you for shedding light on the Birmingham, I never knew. It's funny how many television sitcoms make jokes referencing how the South (especially Alabama) is still a redneck town filled with people in overalls. Birmingham is filled with many different cultural backgrounds. Just looking at downtown Birmingham, you can have a soul food kitchen on one corner, a Jamaican, Thai, Japanese and etc on another. Birmingham is definitley shifting into a big melting pot.
ReplyDeleteI also agree wtih Corey. Higher levels of affluency in income and education needs to be obtained by many minorities, not just Latinos.